Course description including main topics
This campus course on oncofertility will discuss the target populations of women and female children diagnosed with cancer who can benefit from fertility preservation. The course will have a pragmatic emphasis and will describe the development of multidisciplinary cryobiological platforms and the use of different strategical approaches dependent on gonadotoxic urgency.
The following topics will be covered by experts in the field: the gonadotoxicity of oncologic treatments and their effect on reproduction recovery; strategies applied in relation to specific patient ages and conditions ; the risk / benefit balance of applying such methodologies; ethical issues relevant to the treatment of choice, such as for example, the risks of reimplanting malignant cells; the techniques that have proven effective so far; and those systems which are at the more experimental phase of development but still promising as tools for the near future.
- To explore the gonadotoxicity levels of oncology treatments and their effects on reproductive recovery
- To learn about the different strategies available relative to specific patient groups and conditions
- To gather more insights on the risk / benefit balance of applying such methodologies
- To discuss current ethical issues related to the treatment of choice
- To learn about those techniques which have proven effective
- To highlight those treatments which are at an experimental phase but still promising tools for the near future
Medical doctors, gynaecologists, oncologists, paediatric oncologists, psychologists, nurses, paramedics, laboratory technicians, embryologists
Educational needs and expected outcomes
At the end of this course participants will be fully informed about the different fertility preservation strategies appropriate to specific patient groups and oncology conditions, and the risk / benefit balance and ethical considerations of these approaches. Participants will have insights to those treatments at an experimental but promising phase.
Multidisciplinary approach to fertility preservation from different viewpoints: oncology, gynaecology and embryology.
The official language of the course is English.
Certificate of attendance
Participants can only obtain a certificate of attendance after completing the online evaluation. After the course, ESHRE will send an email with the link and more information.